CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Fall Line-Up

We are getting ready for "back-to-school" at our house, just like everyone else in the US. Abby keeps asking me when she'll go to "real school." Umm...maybe never? LOL I tell her usually, "We'll see."

Lately, though, she keeps asking me when school starts. So, we've set a date so she can see it on our calendar. I'd like to start with an all-about-you type of page and "first day" pictures and a few light lessons and then maybe we'll go off and do something fun. That something fun, I'm hoping, will emphasize the fact that kids in school don't get to do fun things during the day like that. Daddy's also going to take off, so it will be lots of fun...whatever we do. I haven't decided that yet...

Anyway, with the fall semester coming, it's a great time to evaluate and really see what we're going to do. I'm saving the start of some lessons for the 22nd of August, which is our start date.

This list is subject to change or rearranging as I see fit. After all, it is our first year of homeschooling with curricula and as much as I've read reviews and researched and picked what I think will work...the fact is, it may not.

Abby turned 5 at the end of May.
For Language:
  • She is at a solid second-grade reading level. We stopped Funnix 2 halfway through because it was getting repetitive and not necessary. I'm hoping a spelling program that is rich in phonics instruction will fill in any holes in her phonics understanding. For that, we'll be working with All About Spelling Level 1.
  • To encourage her reading, I'm going to have her read to me the Sonlight Readers. We'll back up to grade 1 and read through those and the grade 2 readers as well.

For Math:
  • I've ordered RightStart Level A and are awaiting its arrival. I think she'll have fun with all the manipulatives. The scripted lessons, I think, we'll be good for her. She does not care for open-ended lessons at all. She wants to be told what to do and complete it effortlessly.
Outside of the House:
  • Swimming lessons at the local community college. She really wants to take gymnastics too. Hopefully I can find a way to make that work...

For Everything Else (science, history, art, etc, etc):
  • Five in a Row! Enough said. We've done seven units so far and LOVE the curriculum! We own all of the books that aren't out-of-print in the second volume. As we row the other volumes, we'll collect those books as well.

Emmett turns 4 in October.

For Language:
  • We'll do lots of letter play and phonemic awareness activities. My aims for him this school year will be to work on rhyming and an increased phonemic awareness. If he's really interested we'll start some of the earliest blending exercises...but probably not. Whatever he wants to do...

For Math:
  • He is the type that I could see loving the discovery method of playing with Cuisenaire Rods and Miquon Math. For the next few months the rods will be special time to play between myself and him. Gradually we'll work ourselves into some Miquon-ish type activities.
Outside of the House:
  • Swim lessons at the local community college, which he loves! He is quite the little swimmer as well!

For Everything Else:
  • Tagging along with his big sis doing FIAR!

Our full-time tag-alongs include:

Ellie turned 2 at the end of July.
  • What can I say? She's two. Our goals this school year for her include colors, shapes, speaking in better sentences and finish potty training. Oh, yeah...and trying to contain the toddler tornado. Wish me look on that one.
Hyrum just turned 2 months.
  • My goal for him this year would be those typical of the first year of life: giggle, roll, sit, crawl, feed self, stand, walk... Most importantly? Be CUTE!


Not Back to School Blog Hop
Join the Blog Hop and see what everyone else is doing!

1 comment: