CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, February 4, 2011

Trying This Out

I have a regular blog that I post on quite frequently (can we say daily?). I want it to remain to be about the sum-up of our days and the funny things my kids say and do. However, I also want to document our journey as we figure out this homeschooling thing. I did not want to feel inundated with school-y type stuff on our daily blog, so we are trying out a blog simply for school. My goal for this one is to write (maybe weekly?) about the things we're accomplishing, units we're doing, and maybe some fun things along the way.

If Abby were going to public school, she would be starting kindy this fall. We've chosen to keep her home for a number of reasons:
  1. The schools in our area are not great. While the school in our neighborhood is rated highly on greatschools.org, we feel as though they are still not the standard we would choose for our children.
  2. I really don't want my kids indoctrinated by someone else. I want to be the one picking what my children are learning, and I don't just mean curriculum-wise. My children don't need to be the progeny of a teacher's hidden (or unhidden) agenda. At such an age where they are so impressionable, I want them to hold dear the things that I do.
  3. I like the flexibility that comes with homeschooling.
  4. I'm selfish and want to keep them home and see them as much as possible.
  5. I like my kids.
  6. I want my kids to be able to enjoy and love learning. I want to encourage their strengths and buoy their weaknesses. I do not want them falling through the cracks because they are not the proverbial squeaky wheel. I do not want them bored to tears because the rest of the class is a level behind them. I want to foster their desire to understand the world and people around them.
I'm sure I've left reasons out, but those are the important ones.

I've always done school-y activities with my kids. Even my 18-month-old is no stranger to paint and stamps and letters and colors. However, it has been mostly interest-guided since I am a strong believer in learning through play in younger years. As I grow in my parenting and understanding of children, I relax about teaching my children in their toddler years. Abby knew her colors by 18 mos and letters and what they said by 2. Emmett is 3 and still is learning his letters (though, he does know all his numbers and understands one-to-one correlation). Ellie is 18 mos and I'm happy she can do finger-plays, point to major body parts, and tell us in her mono-syllabic way what different animals say (though she can potty in the toilet like a champ). I don't think that means that Abby is more gifted than my younger two. It only shows that I had more time to focus my attention on Abby when she was my only. And, that now I realize the importance of play and making messes in a toddlers life much better now.

I'm hoping to enroll Abby in a virtual school that uses the k12 curriculum, however, it is only offered for grades 1-11 for the next school year. So, for this school year, we'll be keeping it simple. It is only kindergarten and a lot of it should be fun and relaxed.

Reading/Phonics:
Abby is a third of the way through the Funnix Reading System and loving it. I plan to
complete that with her before our next baby is born (May/June).

Emmett is still learning his letters. This school year we're placing a lot more emphasis on letters and the sounds the say. We'll do some drawing of letters, crafts, the LeapFrog Letter Factory DVD, and some starfall.

Math:
We'll be using RightStart Math Level A. I'm thinking that we could use Level B, but Emmett seems a bit more mathematically interested at this point so I am hoping he can join in on the lessons/games most of the time. Even if/when we do enroll Abby in k12, I am planning on keeping up with this curriculum until we at least complete Level B.

Everything Else:
We are no strangers to unit study. This year we're going to use Five in a Row to help cover the rest of our learning. I am looking forward to spending a lot of time on the couch with all my little ones around me and a good book on my lap. We're buying maps and are going to explore the regions that each stories take place in as well as marking the areas that we've been to or where we have family living.

I should also mention that while I am a stay-at-home-mom of three (soon to be four!) little ones and life is busy in the aspects of teaching and helping and safeguarding and training my children, my husband and I are also in school ourselves. Dan makes a good living for us in the United States Air Force but still is seeking further knowledge. He's currently taking two courses (6 credit hours) at a local community college. His current major is pre-nursing, but it very well could change. I am almost done with my associates with a major in history (after this semester, only five more classes!) and I hope to move on and earn my bachelors as quickly as possible.

1 comment:

  1. I've just been reading some of your posts and wanted to say I love some of the activities you're doing. We're a military family too and thinking pretty seriously about homeschooling, nice to see how you teach your children!

    ReplyDelete